* In 1978 I said --Jayatirtha (aka "Srila Tirthapada") and the other 10 "new gurus" were not appointed as gurus by Srila Prabhupada. And most of the other rank and file ISKCON devotees (my God brothers) at the time said -- Puranjana is a crazy man, an offender, and so on, because -- Jayatirtha is a bona fide acharya. And then I was booted out of ISKCON for even asking questions on this topic. Very few devotees backed me up on this issue when I addressed it, almost no one actually.
And this was the pattern all along, most of my God brothers did not come forward to help me deal with all these scandals and problems in ISKCON. And worse, many (ok most) of my God brothers opposed me and said "you are being offensive, you are using bad language" and so on, which of course aided and abetted the criminal enterprise that was overtaking ISKCON. And this policy simply placed my life in danger (by making me look like the lone wolf / crazy / offender / crank) and this helped perpetuate the crimes, all at the same time.
Oddly, even after facing being potentially assassinated for the past 35 years, some of my God brothers still want me to "apologize" for using the techniques I have used. My friend (who is a policeman) says, "They want you to apologize that they did not help you, and despite that, you lived. That means they want you to apologize for your even -- being alive." On the other hand, a number of my other God brothers have apologized to me for not helping my campaign to fix ISKCON, and they agree we were correct on these issues.
Anyway, at the start of all this, a lot of my God brothers simply said "Puranjan is a crazy man." And so the crimes, the child molesting and so on so forth, all went on because there was no organized opposition. And most of the God brothers thereby SABOTAGED any effort to fix things. All this of course made me have to use more and more vociferous tactics, to try to penetrate the acquiescing "silent majority" of God brothers. So I apologize for using these techniques, however, there were not any other good options in dealing with all this.
Anyway, after I was booted out of ISKCON then later on Jayatirtha was decapitated (beheaded) by a disgruntled disciple for making a huge drug business, having illicit sex with a married disciple and so on. So apparently, I WAS right, this "His Divine Grace Srila Jayatirtha Tirthapada" was not ever a guru. In short, I said there was never any guru appointment made by Srila Prabhupada, and now that concept has been accepted all over the planet by thousands of people, maybe tens of thousands.
* In 1979 I began to argue that since Jayatirtha is supposed to be the jagat guru for the entire universe, why does he only have "the zone" of teeny little England? Sounded completely crazy at the time, but now almost everyone else agrees, a guru has no "geographical zone." Yep, the "zonal guru" idea has been proven to be another fraudulent misconception -- except that he current ISKCON gurus still have "zonal areas" appointed to them every year at Mayapura, thus -- they are the last to figure these things out apparently.
* In 1979 I said the PDI drug bust at the Laguna Beach temple; Kirtanananda's drug mules being arrested; Hansadutta's farm being raided by a SWAT team of Federal Marshals and so on, was starting to create the PUBLIC NEWS MEDIA impression that ISKCON is a criminal organization. And I warned the devotees that unless major action is taken to fix this, and soon, this would only get worse. I was right, the public media impression that there is a criminality problem developing in ISKCON -- did get worse. Almost everyone now agrees with that today.
* In 1980 the Syracuse "federal court case" against ISKCON was in all the newspapers in the USA, saying that ISKCON is "systematically defrauding the public" with various charity scams. I said at the time -- see, I told you that we have to get this criminal scam problem under control --or it will get worse. Most of the devotees simply still said, "Puranjana is an offender to the great majestic messiahs from heaven, the 11 gurus." Almost nothing was being done to control the criminality, and as such -- (just as I had warned) it was getting worse and worse. Yep, exactly as I had predicted it was doing. Nowadays most people finally agree, ok but a lot of them only agreed after kicking and screaming every inch of the way after trying to slow us down over the past 35 years, that ISKCON has been turning into a criminal operation -- and it basically it did become one -- as we said all along was an ongoing problem.
* In 1980 we were told by a few people that one of these gurus was getting "strange massages" from the young boys in his school, and that conditions in some of these schools were very lacking in ordinary care and maintenance. We complained at the time, this may end up with a number of these children eventually saying -- they were mistreated in the schools, and this whole situation also had some very weird sexual overtones. OK, how did you guess, most of the devotees at the time said, "Puranjana is a crazy mad fool, offender" -- and so on. They suppressed our complaints to the maximum, to suppress us to the maximum. Except -- everything that we predicted would happen -- did happen -- and way worse in fact. Today, almost everyone agrees there has been a HUGE problem with the treatment of the children. Especially -- the ex-children themselves.
* In 1984 I moved to Berkeley to preach the idea that Srila Prabhupada is the acharya. How did you guess? Many people said -- this man is crazy, bonkers, an offender, and so on. OK, but we got the temple to take all the GBC's guru photos off the altars, and to offer the bhogha to Srila Prabhupada, and we began a program to worship Srila Prabhupada here. Many of the people we made into Prabhupadanuga devotees way back then still give me high fives when they see us even today. This man is crazy, maybe, but our idea worked, and now the Prabhupadanuga idea that we pioneered here has simply -- expanding now to places like Singapore, China, Russia, Bangalore and so on and so forth. OK, we were apparently not so crazy after all, we were right.
* In 1984 I liberated Srila Prabhupada's "last will" from the temple's safe. People said I was crazy and offensive to photocopy and distribute it, hmmm, seems to be a pattern was developing here?
* In 1984 I began to work with SULOCHANA DAS (aka Steve Bryant) who began to visit regularly with me in Berkeley. We both decided that the mass of devotees would maybe never help us contain these bogus gurus, thus we would need help from the "karmis" -- such as their police, media and courts.
Sulochana thus started to write to the Moundsville police and news media people to try to get them on board with these problems. Again, we were totally correct here. We did need the help from the police, because the GBC guru program orchestrated assassinating Sulochana, and I was (according to the FBI) "next of their hit list." The only reason the GBC guru program did not have me assassinated was that they knew I had the full backing from the Berkeley Police, FBI and the media. Once again we were completely correct, we needed the help of the police and media, and that is the only reason I am alive today to even tell this story.
Nowadays some of my critics say I am to blame for all this bad publicity. Ummm, I should have just rolled over got assassinated, and not tried to get any help? No one should have protested the molesting and so on? We should have cheered on the criminal enterprise and facilitated that? Sorry, we did not create any of this publicity, we simply reported what happened, but we did not make any of these crimes happen.
I find it odd that the news reporter is to blame for the crimes he reports going on in the city? This is called denial, we needed help, but the people who did not help us now try to blame us for all the problems. Their acquiescing was one of the main problems.
* When we wrote articles for the "Vedic Village Review" in the 1980s, saying people needed to start to worship Srila Prabhupada and not these bogus GBC gurus, how did you guess, people also said "this is crazy and offensive." Except that now, all of the Srila Prabhupada quotes that we used for those 1980s articles are currently being used by the IRM and everyone else to show that Srila Prabhupada should be worshiped as the acharya. Our idea was not so "crazy" after all!
* When I said that I needed to get the audio versions of the 1977 "poison tapes" conversations, and I said that in 1990, people thought that I really had gone completely crazy now. Except, when I did get the tapes in 1997 and published them, this alarmed almost everyone and started a huge issue of "the poison investigation." Crazy? Maybe not, since Srila Prabhupada is the one who says he is being poisoned, nothing I said matters. Today, there are easily thousands of people who do believe Srila Prabhupada says he is being poisoned. Crazy or not, its being accepted everywhere.
* When I said the molested children are now committing suicide in the mid-1990s, how did you guess, many people said this is crazy, offensive and so on, and nothing should be done to fix this issue. OK, that really is crazy, to say that allowing children to commit suicides is the right course of action, ... its not. There are still a few holds out trying to tell me that allowing the suicides was the right course, and how did you guess, today everyone thinks they are the crazy people.
* One thing people may or may not know is that since 1984 PADA's editor has been friends with "the police," especially in Berkeley. We started out by discussing the personal attack rhetoric used on us by the GBC guru's people, and showing our police contacts the types of threatening and abusive letters we were getting. The police said, "your life is in danger." The police could see by the rhetoric being used, that there are some very nasty people out there posing as Hare Krishnas.
Later on, we started having the same problem with the abusive attack letters online, after the internet got going. Since then we have had the police chase down some of these e-mail threats that we were were getting online. One thing people may not realize is that the letters we get from either the GBC gurus folks, or some of the Gaudiya Matha folks who said they wanted to "come and get me," or some of my many other even recent critics, is that when I show these types of letters of my critics to the police, they cannot distinguish one camp from the other. The police have this all figured out, the way these people write about me, whether from this camp or that camp, is meant to get me killed, that is what they have told me over and over. That is what Dr. Judah also warned me about.
As far as the police can see, all of these groups of critics of us are all the same, they are trying to demonize us so they can get us killed, just as Dr. Judah was telling me. And all of these groups know that when people are demonized they can get beaten and even killed around ISKCON circles. So, anyway, the problem for all the GBC gurus and all these critics is, too bad, too late, the cat is officially out of the bag now. I was just on a TV show that will be seen by millions of people saying -- these gurus were not EVER appointed. Guess what? Most people now believe me.
Whatever else anyone can say or do now its too little too late, its a done deal, these gurus have been for the most part -- exposed for what they truly are. PADA had to use whatever tools we could for that to happen, but it has happened. So now we need to focus on the next process, getting people to realize what the real orders of Srila Prabhupada are. Anyone who wants to help us in that phase is welcome to do so. ys pd