HOW TO DISTRIBUTE 100 BIG BOOKS A DAY
...you can do it too!
Back in 2003/2004 on my search for Prabhupada’s genuine movement, I was staying in LA ISKCON temple. This was shortly before I left ISKCON to join the Prabhupadanugas. 2004 was my biggest year in my career as a book distributor. For a few weeks I was the number one distributor of the USA. By Krsna’s grace I was allowed to do 100+ big books a day. Now I want to share my realization for the benefit of others, and to satisfy some curiosity. What is the secret of doing 100 books a day?
1. Sadhana: Doing the morning program every day, waking early and chanting GOOD, CONCENTRATED rounds is most essential. This is a upward spiral, increasing bliss as one pushes the other…chanting good rounds, doing books, chanting becomes tastier, book distribution becomes tastier, all increases in nectar-bliss.
2. Loving souls: Seeing the karmis as friends, spiritual brothers and sisters, parts and parcels of Krsna is important. To have compassion, feel symathy for them, and have respect, they have Krsna in their hearts!
3. The deep desire to satify the spiritual Master, Srila Prabhupada. When I got His Divine Grace's books I think it was in 1999, my life and thinking changed instantly. From the very first moment I got this transzendental wisdom I wanted to share. I felt and still feel eternally indebtet to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.
4. Feeling fallen. I did not feel very much proud of being allowed to distribute so many books, I just loved the bliss I got form it. I felt unqualified and impure and I felt like this was the service I should do for Srila Prabhupada without having to be pure (like a Brahmana living in the temple etc) but to become more purified
5. Choosing the right place: At the LAX airport or shopping street in Germany, Netherlands or malls in USA I would do 20-30 big books a day, at marathon times 50-60. But at the festivals or concerts it would be 100 books or more.
6. Faith in the spiritual Master Srila Prabhupada: Overpowering the karmi-mind in the three modes with spiritual charged energy based on faith in the spiritual Master obtained by hearing His classes and reading His books
7. THE DESIRE counts most. Spiritual desire to please Srila Prabhupada in that way can overcome all obstacles. Sri Krsna always reciprocates with His devotees.
8. Patience: I did not distribute 100 books a day the first day I went on sankirtan. I actually went out mostly on my own every day for four years before that happened.
9. Determination: Not to give up is important. Not everyone will take a book. Book Distribution is like going from flower to flower. Not every flower has nectar in it, meaning people will turn you away. Important is to be HUMBLE. Just keep on doing it. It is not your fault, you are doing the best thing distributing books. Be ready to be tested. Be ready to fight. And:
10. Be detached: give your best, but you are not the controller. you endeavor and SRI KRSNA will give the result.
Now you may ask, that is ok, but how do I do it practically? Techniques?
As I learned from different senior book distributors in Germany and in USA and because people are somewhat different at different places in the world: Create your own style!
First thing is you have to find a way to stop them and listen to you. That is especially important at places where lots of people walk by like shopping streets or malls. And of course if you are legally allowed in the place or not.
Different ways are: Just pick some from the crowd while they walk by and just put the books in their hands while saying something like: here this is for you, or: we distribute those today, or: have a look, or whatever you can think of. In USA people like compliments a lot, so you can try the following approach: pointing out something like: hey, nice hat, or I like your shoes, something silly like that, just that you get their attention and make them stop and listen. Then you could give them the books, or shake their hand and them give them the books.
Important is that they will get Srila Prabhupada’s books in their hands as soon as you have their attention. Even if they do not take any book, still they got in touch with the pure devote Srila Prabhupada and this may mark the beginning of their real spiritual life. If they touch the book they get benefited. And they get attached to the book on another level if they are pious.
And now it is up to your conviction and your spiritual energy you bring. People’s mind may go this way and that way, but just keep it short and sweet. Bring it back to the book and make them love it. If they feel your spiritual energy and your sincerity you won’t even have to say much… they will take the book and Srila Prabhupada will preach to them personally.
It is good if they get the feeling that everyone wants those books and that many give generous donations to get them. This is important. Just be convinced that this is the greatest thing and most valuable thing you have and want to share with them. This conviction is obtained by reading Srila
Prabhupada’s books ourselves.
All glories to His Divine Grace!
If you would like to add to this little book-distribution Seminar or if you have questions related to the distribution of Srila Prabhupada’s books or are looking for some exchange in regard to this service, please do not hesitate to contact me via personal message.
Your servant Jaya Sri Gaurangi devi dasi